When they’re not showering us with affection, dogs are busy investigating the world around them through sniffing, licking and, sometimes, chewing on things. Their exploratory nature might lead them to plants, some of which can be toxic to dogs when ingested.
Before letting your canine companion roam freely in your garden or at the park, learn about these five poisonous plants for dogs so you can avoid them.
- Azaleas — Azaleas are flowering shrubs known for having vibrant clusters of blossoms, but they are poisonous plants for dogs, cats and many other animals. A dog that ingests any part of the plant may experience vomiting, diarrhoea, abnormal heart rhythms and, in extreme cases, coma or death. If you like gardening, opt for other non-toxic plants such as rose and forsythia. Also ensure that your dog’s curiosity does not lead them to azaleas during walks or outdoor activities.
- Oleander — A colourful, evergreen shrub with showy flowers, oleander is one of the many poisonous plants for dogs. It contains cardiac glycosides, which can affect the heart and other vital organs of your pet. Signs they swallowed oleander plants include severe vomiting, gastrointestinal distress, drooling and abnormal heart rhythms.
- Hydrangea — Hydrangeas are popular ornamental shrubs but they contain cyanogenic glycosides, which can be harmful to dogs when ingested. You might observe vomiting, lethargy and depression in your dog. While they’re not usually lethal, it’s still best to keep your dog away from hydrangeas.
- Lily of the valley — Lily of the valley may look delicate and charming with its white flowers, but they are another poisonous plant for dogs you should avoid. They also contain cardiac glycosides, a compound used in some medications to treat heart conditions in humans. Ingesting any part of the plant can lead to a slowed heart rate and even seizures for your dog, as the compound may be too concentrated for animals.
- Foxglove — Foxgloves are some of the most stunning herbaceous perennials with their purple bell-shaped flowers. However, they are highly poisonous plants for dogs and their humans because of cardiac glycosides. Foxgloves are considered an invasive species due to the speed at which they grow, so if you and your dog enjoy walking in natural landscapes, you might come across a shrub of foxgloves. Ensure that you or your dog do not inhale the plant’s pollen and your four-legged companion does not ingest any of the plant’s parts, as they may cause heart issues to a fatal degree.
Optimise your dog’s nutrition with MfM Australia dog food
Dogs chew on things they’re not supposed to due to various reasons, from boredom to anxiety. In some cases, they may eat plants because their diet is lacking in essential nutrients. That’s why we’ve formulated nutrient-dense kibble for puppies and adult dogs here at MfM Australia! Shop our range of pet food online or visit our stockists in Australia and you’ll never have to worry they’ll accidentally consume poisonous plants for dogs.
For any questions, feel free to contact us — our team will be happy to help!